This magazine is edited for those interested in critical examination of news, style, contemporary ideas and trends. It regularly deals with politics, business, literature, the fine arts, entertainment, home furnishings, food, wine and fashion.
Who Reads New York Magazine?
New York is eagerly awaited each week by readers seeking the energy and excitement of the city itself in a magazine with smart writing, beautiful photography and sophisticated design. New York‘s audience of more than 1.7 million readers each week reaches far beyond its namesake city. Readers come to the magazine for the latest news and social trends, to explore the city’s cultural happenings, and for a navigational tool for all aspects of city life.
What You Can Expect in Each Issue:
- Intelligencer: Packed with news, gossip, and commentary, the magazine’s Intelligencer section provides a snapshot of what New Yorkers are talking about this week. Look for everything from sharp Q&A’s with newsmakers, 100-person polls, and essays from opinion leaders, anchored by the magazine’s “Party Lines” page where celebrities weigh in on the questions of the day.
- Columns: Kurt Andersen on the political and cultural landscape, James J. Cramer on finance, John Heilemann on national politics, and Will Leitch on sports–New York‘s regular columnists offer original “thought scoops” on the antics of the players that matter in the city.
- Strategist: The magazine’s Strategist section is devoted to telling the reader what to know in order to enjoy urban life to the fullest with the latest in shopping, dining, real estate, travel, and more. Strategist constantly provides fresh information and thoughtful, useful direction on how to live in New York, whether you’re a local or simply an enthusiastic fan.
- The Culture Pages: The goal of New York’s “Culture Pages” section is to report on, reflect, and critique culture in a city that is bursting at the seams with it. At the section’s core are some of the best critics in the business—from Jerry Saltz on art to David Edelstein on the movies to Sam Anderson on books to Justin Davidson on classical music and architecture—who bring pointed, impassioned, and extremely knowing voices to bear on their respective fields.
- Agenda: Definitive and authoritative, the magazine’s Agenda listings on Movies, Theater, Art, Music, Nightlife, Readings, Restaurants, and Kids activities provide the ultimate guide to the week in New York.
- Features:New York‘s feature stories cover the broadest range of topics–from politics to social trends, fashion to finance, the magazine’s features find the city’s story line. Recent stories have looked at the secret lives of married men, identified a new trend in plastic surgery, chronicled a custody battle in the Hasidic community, and profiled New York icon Sarah Jessica Parker.
New York’s visuals—its stunning photography, ingenious infographics and illustration, and a design that manages to be both fresh and familiar—are equal partners with its words. The magazine insists that it is possible to be brainy and beautiful, serious and playful, at the same time.
Under editor-in-chief Adam Moss, New York‘s contributors include both magazine veterans and rising talent: Steve Fishman, Mark Jacobson, Jennifer Senior, Vanessa Grigoriadis, Robert Kolker, Amy Larocca, Joe Hagan, Geoffrey Gray, Duff McDonald, and Gabriel Sherman are among the magazine’s regular contributors.